The Jensens

The Jensens

Sunday, June 1, 2014

Easy like Sunday Morning

Disregard the "girl I'm leaving you tomorrow" line, and just focus on the rest of the song.


  This song popped into my head as I was downstairs washing dishes, with the smell of fresh baked cookies lingering, and listening to my daughter, Hattie, singing "Popcorn Popping" with her daddy upstairs. I sat down with glass of water to take in the moment just a little more fully, humming easy like Sunday morning; Such a calming tune. 

A minute of silence came, and then I heard whispers of, "Kitty yeow yeow". They were praying. 
She repeats the same noun over and over again until we repeat it for her in our prayers. It's the sweetest thing to hear what she comes up with.  It's mostly, "Gaah-mah", "See-een"(her cousin Selene), "Reagan", "Nina", "Home", "Kitty yeow yeow", "Mickey/Mickey house" (Disneyland), "Mommy-Daddy", Hattie-leen", "bankie", or whatever activity we did that day ..you get the idea. 

Well, Lets rewind to this morning...

  Today was another day to throw into the "difficult" pile of life. 

Okay, maybe I take that back. This morning was wonderful. We slept in til 9 and even then, Hattie allowed Chris & I to lie in bed while she played with her trains for 20 minutes until she wanted us to come join her. It was so joyful.

UNTIL (this is where the difficult comes in)

At 10am Chris left to go help some friends move (Yes, on a Sunday). Which is no big, until Hattie decided to open every item in the bathroom with a lid on it. I was right there next to her trying to do my hair, as I grabbed one thing out of her hand, she was right on to the next thing. Baby powder dusted the floor, toothpaste on the counter, face lotion smeared on her cheeks, lids thrown in the water filled sink. ... IPHONE THROWN IN THE WATER FILLED SINK! 

  I watched the whole thing happen. 
Talk. about. slow. motion. 
I just don't think I believed she'd actually do such a thing. But when she did, I stomped my feet and grunted with anger.  
(talk about a tantrum) 
It's all I could do in order to keep myself from doing something I'd regret later. 
 I sat her in the corner of our bathroom and told her not to move, as I ran downstairs and gently placed my phone in rice. 

 To my surprise, when I returned she was siting in the exact spot I left her in. Hooray Hattie! After a good 3 minutes of silence I sat with her and talked about why I was so mad and how it was NOT okay to put mommy's phone in water. (This being her second strike; The first was in the toilet!) I could tell the entire time she was anxious to give me a hug and make it "all better" as she says. And she did, three times. That was enough proof to show me she truly was sorry; or that she just hated the fact that I was upset with her. I hate it too. I actually found myself, in all my anger, still, kissing her head as I lifted her up and over into the corner of the bathroom. How ironic.
But as a mother, watching your child experiment and explore the world is a marvelous thing to see. It's shocking (in this case) to see where their curiosity takes them. 

The rest of our day was a delight, Church (without a phone = THE best), late afternoon naps, BBQ dinner, and mom's (in-law) chocolate chip cookies... with ice cream. Delightful indeed. 
Thank you Sunday for being easy.

PS. My phone is alive and well after 6 hours in a rice bath. 


No comments:

Post a Comment