The Jensens

The Jensens

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Lock it up

Before Chris and I got married we came from two different walks of life.

He was the more responsible type who developed his independence with pride.
She was the care-free girl who always had a slight fear of stepping out on her own.

With that care-free attitude it was rare that I thought twice about locking the door of my house, apartment, and, on occasion, even my car.
Chris and I went through a learning curve with one another in trying to solve this dilemma.

He would become upset with me every time he found me forgetting to lock my door.. and I would become frustrated whenever he'd comment, "Don't forget to lock the door!" in response. ugh... I'd always respond with,
 "Thanks Dad!"
 I don't doubt we both mumbled a few words under our breath about one another in a few of those situations.

Well, needless to say I've highly improved on the matter, and how grateful I am!

Why?
Because last night as I found a comfortable spot on the couch around 3am, due to restless and cramping legs and a wandering thought process that was hindering my sleep.. suddenly, the front door handle turned! Followed by the locks trying to be unlocked with a key!
 I was stiff with terror.
The minute it stopped I looked over and saw that the locks were still locked and heard footsteps pacing back and forth in front of our door. I tip-toe ran, back into the bedroom and told Chris what was going on and he quickly secured the premises, like the great protector that he is.
 He didn't see or hear anything, and we were able to fall back asleep soon after. At that point I decided to stay in bed for the rest of the night.

Crazy right?! Well, it wasn't the first time.

 Two weeks ago while I was home sick with a cold I was sitting on the couch reading a book. It was late morning, when suddenly a key entered the door lock and again, the handle started moving. I was terrified! Once the guy realized the key wasn't unlocking the door he started yelling out to someone in Spanish... from what I understood... (yes, I can understand un pequito espanol) ..the guy was a maintenance worker from the apartment complex and had come to the wrong place for a work order.
 Sure they laughed. But I didn't! I immediately called Chris and told him what had happened and after making sure I was once again calm, he wrapped up our conversation with, "Good thing you locked the door!"

So all in all, Chris was right about the importance of locking doors, because you really don't know what's going to happen.

My only weakness is when visiting home. The minute I pull into our driveway my instinctual habit comes right back and it's rare if I ever lock any doors.
 I guess that's what happens when you live in such a quaint and happy little town all your life.

1 comment:

  1. holy cow! talk about creepy! you are much braver than i am. I'm pretty sure I would have stayed awake the rest of the night until the sun came up and it was safe to sleep again.
    I love that you call Camarillo a quaint little town. If you had lived in my neighborhood you would NOT be saying that! you'd say something more like cute and appealing, but scary and unsafe. We definiately locked our doors ALL THE TIME, and ALL DAY LONG! i am just like chris, reminding eli to lock the doors all the time. i am the fanatic for door locking, and he is not. although, having a kid and living in the city has changed him a bit.

    ReplyDelete